Non-Defining Relative Clauses
Combine the sentences using relative clauses. Note that all relative clauses are non-defining.
- Samuel Johnson was the son of a bookseller. Samuel Johnson was born in 1709.
- In 1728, he went to Oxford. He studied at Pembroke College in Oxford.
In 1728, he went
- Johnson had to leave Oxford without a degree. He was too poor to pay the fees.
- In 1737, Johnson moved to London. There he wrote poetry, essays and biographies.
In 1737, Johnson
- In 1746, Johnson started to write his dictionary. It took him nine years to complete.
In 1746, Johnson started
- His home at that time was in 17 Gough Square in London. It is a museum now.
17 Gough Square in London
- In this house, his wife died in 1752. Her name was Elizabeth Porter.
In this house his wife
- In 1755, the work was published. It was called A Dictionary of the English Language.
In 1755, the work
- Samuel Johnson died in 1784. He is buried in Westminster Abbey.