A definition explains the meaning of a word. Imagine, you cannot remember a certain word or you use a word that another person does not know. What can you do? Exactly, you can explain what you mean. So it is in fact really handy to know a bit about definitions.
How can I define a word?
- Describe (the most common form of definitions)
- Think of a more general word and then specify how this term is different from other terms that belong to this group. Example: dog
- A more general term? – animal. And how are dogs different from other animals? They bark. So our definition could be:
A dog is an animal that barks.
- Name a few examples
- Think of typical examples. Example: month
- Can you think of any examples for months? – e.g. January, May, December. So our definition could be:
January, May and December are months.
- Name the components
- Think of the components the term consists of. Example: Irish coffee
- What does an Irish Coffee consist of? – coffee, whiskey and sugar. So our definition could be:
An Irish coffee consists of coffee, whiskey and sugar.
Important Grammar Aspects
Exercises on Definitions
More Exercises on Definitions
Changed: 10th Dec 2010 19:36