Sports News Headlines - Yahoo! News
To read an article, you are linked to the provider’s site. If you wish to open the link in a new window, hold SHIFT key (Internet Explorer, Opera) or CTRL key (Netscape, Firefox) down and click on the link.
- Bruins eliminate Rangers with 3-1 win in Game 5
- Bayern beats Dortmund 2-1 in final on Robben goal
- AP PHOTOS: Bayern beats Dortmund 2-1 in final
Bayern Munich defeated German rival Borussia Dortmund 2-1 in the Champions League final Saturday night, ending four years of frustration for Bayern in Europe's biggest soccer tournament. Arjen Robben ran onto Franck Ribery's backheeled flick in the penalty area and put the ball past goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller in the 89th minute to send Bayern to its first Champions League victory since 2001. Bayern had lost two of the last three finals, including a penalty-kicks defeat to Chelsea last year in Munich. Bayern entered as the favorite, although that message didn't seem to have filtered through to Juergen Klopp's Dortmund team, which seemed intent on dictating play from the start. It largely succeeded for the first 25 minutes as well, although it was Bayern that ended up with the best chances of the first half.
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Pagan wins it for Giants with inside-the-park HR
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Angel Pagan hit an inside-the-park home run with a runner aboard in the bottom of the 10th inning to give the San Francisco Giants a 6-5 victory over the Colorado Rockies on Saturday.
- Indy 500 could be better than 2012's epic race
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — They raced 1-2-3 in line, trading the lead a whopping 15 times over the final, frantic 75 laps. All three drivers had a last-lap plan in mind when they zipped past the white flag, and it was Takuma Sato who acted first with a bold move for the win.
- Kuchar still leads at Colonial after long Saturday
- Year later, Serena Williams seeks more in Paris
PARIS (AP) — In the moments immediately following her stunningly early exit from the 2012 French Open, as her eyes welled with tears and she bemoaned how she's "been through so much in my life," Serena Williams could not possibly find anything positive to take from the experience.
- Suspended game resumes, Braves beat Mets 7-5 in 10
- Hamilton, Angels beat Royals 7-0 for 7th straight
- Red Sox rally for 4 in 8th to beat Indians 7-4
- Kuchar takes one-shot lead into final round at Colonial
(Reuters) - American Matt Kuchar put the finishing touches on his impressive rain-hit second round on Saturday and then maintained a one-shot lead after the third round of the Crowne Plaza Invitational in Fort Worth, Texas. Kuchar, who clinched his fifth PGA Tour title at the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship in February, made three pars in the early hours at Colonial Country Club to complete a five-under 65 second round before a third-round 69 left him with an 11-under total of 199. ...
- Golf-U.S. PGA Tour Colonial Invitational scores May 25 (Infostrada Sports) - Scores from the U.S. PGA Tour Colonial Invitational at the par-70 course on Saturday in Fort Worth, Texas 199 Matt Kuchar (U.S.) 65 65 69 200 Matt Every (U.S.) 65 69 66 Chris Stroud (U.S.) 67 66 67 Boo Weekley (U.S.) 67 67 66 Graham DeLaet (Canada) 64 67 69 201 Martin Flores (U.S.) 66 70 65 Tim Clark (South Africa) 67 69 65 John Rollins (U.S.) 63 71 67 Steve Flesch (U.S.) 68 64 69 202 Bud Cauley (U.S.) 67 69 66 Jonas Blixt (Sweden) 67 68 67 Zach Johnson (U.S.) 69 65 68 Fredrik Jacobson (Sweden) 66 67 69 203 Charley Hoffman (U.S.) 66 70 67 J.J. Henry (U.S. ...
- Brewers closer Henderson out with hamstring injury
- Golf-European Tour PGA Championship scores May 25 (Infostrada Sports) - Scores from the European Tour PGA Championship at the par-72 course on Saturday in Wentworth 207 Alejandro Canizares (Spain) 69 70 68 208 Lee Westwood (Britain) 70 71 67 209 Matteo Manassero (Italy) 69 71 69 Marc Warren (Britain) 69 70 70 210 Shane Lowry (Ireland) 70 71 69 211 Francesco Molinari (Italy) 70 68 73 Mark Foster (Britain) 70 69 72 Eddie Pepperell (Britain) 71 69 71 Richard Bland (Britain) 71 71 69 Lee Slattery (Britain) 71 71 69 Sergio Garcia (Spain) 72 71 68 Edoardo Molinari (Italy) 71 71 69 Pablo Larrazabal (Spain) 71 73 67 212 Gregory Havret (France) ...
- Ex-minor leaguer says baseball cheating lives A former minor leaguer says cheating is alive and well in professional baseball.
- Golf-Canizares holds off Westwood charge at sun-kissed Wentworth By Tony Jimenez VIRGINIA WATER, England, May 25 (Reuters) - Wentworth, battered by wind and rain this week, almost turned into the Costa del Sol on Saturday so it was no shock to see Spain's Alejandro Canizares set the pace at the PGA Championship. The son of former Ryder Cup stalwart Jose Maria moved one stroke ahead of Lee Westwood after six birdies and two bogeys secured a third-round 68 and a nine-under tally of 207 on a sun-kissed day at the European Tour's flagship event. ...
- Sanchez misses no-hitter as Tigers maul Twins
(Reuters) - Detroit's Anibal Sanchez was denied a no-hitter but still struck out 12 batters in a pitching gem as the Tigers sent the Minnesota Twins crashing to their 10th straight defeat with a 6-0 victory on Friday. Sanchez was heading towards a second career no-hitter with one out in the ninth inning before Joe Mauer punched a single up the middle to deny the Venezuelan a chance to become the 28th pitcher in Major League history with multiple no-hitters. ...
- Pacers turn up Heat in Miami to level series
By Simon Evans MIAMI (Reuters) - The Indiana Pacers threw open the NBA Eastern Conference finals on Friday, upsetting the Miami Heat with a 97-93 victory to level the best-of-seven series at 1-1. LeBron James scored 36 points for Miami but gave up two crucial turnovers down the stretch that cost the Heat, while Roy Hibbert top-scored for the Pacers with 29 points and Paul George added 22 and produced some outstanding defensive work. ...
- Granderson hurt as Yankees beat Rays 9-4
- Sanchez loses no-hit bid in 9th, Tigers beat Twins
- No shave for Johnson after Nats top Phillies 5-2
- Zimmermann wins 8th; Nationals top Phillies 5-2
WASHINGTON (AP) — Jordan Zimmermann became the National League's first eight-game winner, and the Washington Nationals followed a calamitous road trip with a winning start to a homestand, beating the Philadelphia Phillies 5-2 on Friday night.
- Golf-Friends Cochran and Perry lead Senior PGA Championship May 24 (Reuters) - American left-hander Russ Cochran reeled off five birdies in six holes around the turn on the way to a share of the Senior PGA Championship lead in Friday's second round at Bellerive Country Club in St. Louis, Missouri. Cochran, who clinched his maiden major title in the over-50 ranks at the 2011 Senior Open Championship, fired a five-under-par 66 to end the day at seven-under 135, level with good friend and fellow Kentucky native Kenny Perry, who also returned a 66. ...
- Sanabia : I didn't know spitter was against rules CHICAGO (AP) — Miami Marlins pitcher Alex Sanabia said he didn't know it was illegal to spit directly onto a baseball.
- Woods heads potent field for next week's Memorial
(Reuters) - Next week's Memorial tournament at Muirfield Village in Dublin, Ohio will feature one of the season's strongest fields with the world's top six players all taking part in the PGA Tour event hosted by Jack Nicklaus. Top-ranked Tiger Woods will be back to defend the title he claimed by two shots last year while Rory McIlroy (second), Adam Scott (third), 2010 champion Justin Rose (fourth), Brandt Snedeker (fifth) and Luke Donald (sixth) will also be competing. Apart from five-times winner Woods and Rose, seven other former champions will be returning - K.J. ...
- Yankees' Teixeira to play in minors on Wednesday TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira expects to play in his first game since hurting his right wrist in early March, suiting up for a minor-league game with Double-A Trenton on Wednesday.
- Donald bemoans 'terrible' display as he exits PGA By Tony Jimenez VIRGINIA WATER (Reuters) - Luke Donald, the PGA Championship winner in 2011 and 2012, missed the cut after returning a level-par 72 for a six-over total of 150 at Wentworth on Friday. The real damage was done in Thursday's opening round when the world number six collapsed to a six-over 78 in cold, damp conditions at the European Tour's flagship event. The weather was no better for the second round and Donald suffered an early blow when he took a double-bogey five at the second. ...
- Golf-Donald bemoans `terrible' display as he exits PGA (Updates after Donald misses cut) By Tony Jimenez VIRGINIA WATER, England, May 24 (Reuters) - Luke Donald, the PGA Championship winner in 2011 and 2012, missed the cut after returning a level-par 72 for a six-over total of 150 at Wentworth on Friday. The real damage was done in Thursday's opening round when the world number six collapsed to a six-over 78 in cold, damp conditions at the European Tour's flagship event. The weather was no better for the second round and Donald suffered an early blow when he took a double-bogey five at the second. ...
- Canada's DeLaet sets Colonial pace with strong finish
(Reuters) - Canadian Graham DeLaet succumbed to the infamous 'Horrible Horseshoe' but rebounded with two closing birdies to move into an early one-shot lead in Friday's second round of the Crowne Plaza Invitational in Fort Worth, Texas. In pursuit of his first PGA Tour victory, the 31-year-old from Saskatchewan put a welcome smile back on his face as he carded a three-under-par 67 in overcast conditions at Colonial Country Club to post a nine-under total of 131. ...
- Golf-Canada's DeLaet sets Colonial pace with strong finish May 24 (Reuters) - Canadian Graham DeLaet succumbed to the infamous 'Horrible Horseshoe' but rebounded with two closing birdies to move into an early one-shot lead in Friday's second round of the Crowne Plaza Invitational in Fort Worth, Texas. In pursuit of his first PGA Tour victory, the 31-year-old from Saskatchewan put a welcome smile back on his face as he carded a three-under-par 67 in overcast conditions at Colonial Country Club to post a nine-under total of 131. ...
- Molinari flourishes while Donald and McIlroy falter
By Tony Jimenez VIRGINIA WATER, England (Reuters) - Francesco Molinari flourished while five of his European Ryder Cup team mates fell flat on their faces as the Italian grabbed the lead after the PGA Championship second round on Friday. Luke Donald, the 2011 and 2012 winner, Rory McIlroy, Ian Poulter, Graeme McDowell and Paul Lawrie all missed the halfway cut after struggling in cold, dank conditions at the European Tour's flagship event. ...
- Teixeira expects to play in minors Wednesday TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira says he expects to play in a minor-league game Wednesday with Double-A Trenton.
- President Obama again to serve as honorary Cup chairman
(Reuters) - President Barack Obama has accepted an invitation to be honorary chairman of this year's Presidents Cup, the second time he will fulfil the role at the biennial team competition, the PGA Tour said on Friday. Obama, an avid basketball player who often escapes the pressures of the Oval Office by taking to the golf course, served as honorary chairman when the event was last played in the United States, at San Francisco's Harding Park in 2009. ...
- AP Source: Jets RB Goodson to practice Tuesday FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) — A person familiar with the situation tells the Associated Press that Jets running back Mike Goodson is expected to return to practice Tuesday despite his legal troubles.
- A-Rod sells Miami Beach home for $30M MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) — New York Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez has sold his Miami Beach home for $30 million.
- Golf-Molinari flourishes while Donald and McIlroy falter By Tony Jimenez VIRGINIA WATER, England, May 24 (Reuters) - Francesco Molinari flourished while several of his European Ryder Cup team mates fell flat on their faces as the Italian grabbed the lead in the PGA Championship second round on Friday. Luke Donald, the 2011 and 2012 winner, Rory McIlroy, Ian Poulter and Graeme McDowell all missed the halfway cut after enduring cold, dank conditions at the European Tour's flagship event. ...
Changed: 10th Dec 2010 19:40