Fill the gaps with the correct tense. Use Simple Past or Past Perfect Simple.
- In the 17th century, there
(be) lots of religious tensions in England.
- King James I
(not / allow) freedom of religion in England as he
(have) problems with certain religious groups in the past.
- That's why during his reign some people
(leave) the country.
- In September 1620 for example, members of the English Separatist Church
(go) aboard the Mayflower to emigrate to America.
- Before their journey to America, they
(live / already) in Holland for a while.
- Now on the Mayflower, storms
(make) the journey to America difficult.
- The Pilgrims only
(reach) America after they
(sail) the Atlantic for 66 days.
- Because of the delay, the Pilgrims
(not / build) enough houses and they
(not / collect) enough food when winter
- By spring, half of the 100 Pilgrims
(die) of hunger and cold.
- But then, in March 1621, the Pilgrims
(meet) the friendly Wampanoag.
- One member of the Wampanoag, Squanto, even
(know) English because several years before he
(spend) some time in Europe.
- The Wampanoag
(show) the Pilgrims how to hunt and fish.
- They also
(give) the Pilgrims seeds to grow corn and beans.
- After the Pilgrims
(harvest) the food in autumn, they
(celebrate) their good harvest with the Wampanoag. This event is known today as the first Thanksgiving.