What to buy
- 50 g ground sweet almonds
- 2 medium sized eggs
- 100 g brown sugar
- 200 g mix of raisins and sultanas
- 150 g mix of dried fruits, chopped (e.g. apricots, figs)
- 50 g glaze cherries, chopped
- 1 small apple, grated
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- juice of 1 small lemon
- 2 tablespoons orange juice or sherry
How to make
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cover the bowl and leave overnight.
- Put in a greased bowl and cover with grease proof paper. Secure with string.
- Steam for 4 hours, cool, wrap and store.
- Keep at least a month for the flavour to develop.
- On Christmas day steam again for 2 hours.
- Serve with custard or brandy sauce.