Lingo4you Personal Advanced Dictionary
LingoPad is a free offline dictionary for Windows.
LingoPad contains a German ↔ English dictionary; other dictionaries (Spanish, Italian, French, Japanese, Chinese, Turkish, Kurdish, Norwegian or Arabic) can be downloaded as well. You can also import your own wordlists and use them parallel to the existing dictionaries. For each dictionary, a user dictionary can be defined to include additional wordlists.
The program is freeware and can be downloaded and used free of charge.
New in version 2.6
- Changes for Windows Vista
- Customized setup (select data directory on setup)
- Change font size with Ctrl++ / Ctrl+- / Alt++ / Alt+-
- Specify order of dictionaries
- ShortCuts for dictionaries
- Faster import of own dictionaries
- Faster loading of user dictionaries
- automatic translation on clipboard changes
Attention: LingoPad 2.6 has some improvements, however direct translations with hotkey or mouse click do not work properly anymore. If you are hapy with the version 2.5.1 functions and use the hotkey/mouse click feature, you better not update to version 2.6. Here you can download LingoPad 2.5.1.
There will be no further development of LingoPad under Windows in the near future. However, we are planning to develop cross-platform LingoPad for Mac OS X, Linux and Windows.
- German ↔ English dictionaries
- further dictionaries (e.g. Spanish, French, Japanese, Chinese, Turkish, Kurdish, Norwegian) available on clicking Online update in the Dictionaries menu
- import of own dictionaries possible (Unicode ready)
- freely definable user dictionaries
- wordlist editor
- search for beginning, ending and middle part of a word (*ending or *middle*)
- search for collocations
- activation possible with a customizable HotKey - automatic search for a tagged word or word from the clipboard
- list of latest search words
- download on memory stick possible
- offline use
- phonetic transcription for many English words
- user interface in German and English
- direct links to look up words on Wikipedia and various search engines
All but the dictionary on „Whales and Dolphins“ are premised on other free sources. We would like to thank the authors for their hard work and for allowing us to use these wordlists.
If you are not listed correctly or you do not want your wordlists to be used in LingoPad, please contact us per e-mail.
- German ↔ English with approx. 230,000 entries and 670,000 references; wordlist created by TU-Chemnitz (Frank Richter)
- Spanish ↔ German with approx. 19,000 entries and 28,000 references; wordlist created by Zeno Gantner
- German ↔ English (glossary) with terms and definitions on Whales and Dolphins
- Chinese ↔ German with approx. 3,400 entries (not audited 148,000) and 4,000 references (not audited 230,000); wordlist created by HanDeDict. Many thanks to Michael Engel and Jan Hefti for their support.
- Japanese ↔German with approx. 390,000 entries and 1.100,000 references; wordlist created by Ulrich Apel and Hans-Jörg Bibiko.
- Norwegian ↔ German with approx. 34,000 entries and 56,000 references; wordlist created by Heinzelnisse (Heiko Klein, Julia Emmerich)
- Turkish ↔ German with approx. 33,000 entries and 80,000 references; wordlist created by Ferheng.org (Erdal Ronahi)
- Kurdish ↔ German with approx. 17,000 entries and 35,000 references; wordlist created by Ferheng.org (Erdal Ronahi)
- French ↔ German with approx. 23.000 Stichwörtern entries and 31.500 references; wordlist created by Zdenek Broz (All Free Dictionaries project - Dicts.info).
- Italian ↔ German with approx. 28,000 entries and 63,500 references; wordlist created by ItalDict.de.
- Various dictionaries, e.g. German ↔ Khasi or German ↔ Latin have been converted from Freedict.org. Many thanks to Michael Bunk for his support.
- Arabic ↔ English with approx. 135,000 entries and 220,000 references; wordlist created by Arabeyes Project.
Other Sources Used
- The IPA transcription for English words is baded on the spelling dictionary, created by Carnegie Mellon University
- Icons and flags were created by Mark James
Dictionary for Linux, Unix and MacOS X
LingoPad is only available for Microsoft Windows. For use on other systems, you can download the following freeware programs: Ding (Linux, Unix) by Frank Richter and MacDing (MacOS X) by Matthias Ihrke.